Being a part of high school or students planning to take admission for higher education aspire to accomplish a lot. Now when students prepare for their SAT exams, they can involve themselves in community service to give a boost to their application and their entire high school experience. We have already discussed how community service is the most significant part of a high school student and how it is rewarding and satisfying for students who gain social and emotional awareness as well as empathy towards others.
Being a part of community service reflects a lot on your personality and students can be involved in meaningful community services from their freshman to senior year to not only gain experience but also to give back to their local community and some way or the other. It not only builds up your resume for your higher studies but also improves your skills and builds your character over-all. We have mentioned before colleges lookup up not only for your test grades and SAT marks but also analyze your involvement in extracurricular activities and other volunteering experiences to make sure that student is interested and active in making an impactful difference in the community.
This article of Eduquest will discuss a few tips about how students can take up impactful community service in the duration of their high school.
- Look for services that match your interests
To be an active volunteer in community service it is necessary to be passionate about it. When students are passionate about something, they put in more effort to create a difference and they also enjoy doing that service. When you involve yourself in a service that is related to your interest you gain a new perspective and also enhance your knowledge and skills of that particular field of interest which is appreciated by several colleges.
- Look for quality time and impact
Another tip to get involved in meaningful community service is to look for time requirements and what level of impact it makes on society. Many students do community service casually just so they can put it on their resume, but it doesn’t help them personally. You should involve yourself in a service in which you can dedicate your time honestly even if it’s for just two or three days a week. To volunteer for a cause that can make an impact on the community is important for high school students to have an experience of the outside the classroom world and strengthen their admission application.
- Create your ideas
If you are not able to find community service opportunities that favor your interests, you can always create opportunities of your own and serve society in the best way possible. Let’s see how:
- If you want to make an impact in the community the best way is to start with children. Teaching young children of underprivileged backgrounds and students who are facing problems in their classroom studies is the best community service that you can offer on your behalf. You look for students who need your help. You can take the help of your schoolteachers’ principles and local organizations that work towards the betterment of young children. To not compromise with your studies, you can take up a program that provides after-school studies to children.
- Many students who are interested in providing their efforts in making the environment better can take up this community service. Taking care of your surrounding and beautifying your local community areas is one of the best community services that any child can do that reflects their concern regarding their environmental problems. There are not many organizations that provide environmental programs under community service but even if you are not able to find search opportunities you can always involve yourself in a project of your own.
To take care of your surroundings you necessarily don’t have to be part of an organization, but you can individually or in a group of friends or youngsters can make your program. You can posters to make people aware of the consequences of littering or you can conduct a drive to clean your commitment parks, etc. There are several ways students can build their resume of community service background and it doesn’t have to be by being part of an official non-profit organization.
- Another tip to involve yourself in meaningful community service is to be a part of the drive that looks after stray animals. Who doesn’t love dogs and cats! You can offer your help in an animal shelter and take care of animals by healing them and enjoying them. You can create posters and notices to inform people regarding the necessity of adopting indie and stray animals rather than spending money on buying a breed animal.
- Students who have fashioned regarding extracurricular activities like sports cultural activities like dance, musical instruments, etc can also invest their time in providing help to those who require extra attention in those areas. There may be children who need special time because they’re lacking in their school classes or want to learn something new. You can always provide your service to them. Your guidance can help them build a brighter future for themselves. To be clear community service is not about earning money but helping your community in becoming a better place to live. So, you cannot ask for money in exchange for providing them with your service.
It is relatively easier to take up community service during the time of your high school breaks such as summer breaks or winter breaks because during that time you don’t have pressure or studies and you can dedicate your time efficiently to those services. If you want to offer something bigger to society, you can also create your projects and groups to make your local community better. You can raise money for meaningful causes with the help of your efforts. Participating in community service during your freshman year gives you a lot of time to focus on your interests and give back to your community through them. Colleges favor aspirants who value their community service commitment and be a part of it till the end of the duration.